The Church of God by Faith at Waverly, GA was started about the year of 1956 in a small building located a few yards from the current facility. The original pioneers of the church were formally serving at the Kingsland, GA Church of God by Faith under Elder Frank Townsend, Jr. from 1952–1956.
Deacon Rossie Massey was the first deacon at the Kingsland congregation and he was led by God to start a new church in his home area of Springbluff in Waverly. Noble and Mary Ellen Scarlett owned a juke joint storefront at Springbluff. She allowed Rossie and Fretta Massey, the Morrell’s, Verdell Scarlett, and the Thompson’s to use her establishment which solidified the Church of God by Faith in Waverly, GA with Elder George Matthews as their pastor. The church progressed under Elder Matthews’ leadership.
In 1958 Mr. Burl Russell originally deeded the land where the church presently resides. The Jacksonville District and the Springbluff members worked full time jobs during the week and spent their weekends building the church.
The current facility was completed and consecrated about 1966 with the few dedicated members. Many friends and families donated building materials and their time to help with the construction of the Waverly GA church.
The facility suffered from years of termite damage and age until 2012, most of the flooring deteriorated and was replaced by the local congregation. While replacing the floor in the building many other issues were found that resulted in the complete demolition of the church interior. The current facility was re-dedicated on September 8, 2013.
Six pastors have lead this congregation since it started:
- Elder George Matthews, Sr.
- Elder Erta Livingston, Sr.
- Elder Albert Landers
- Elder Alphunster T. Johnson
- Elder Frank Townsend, III
- Elder James C. Ammons, Sr.