The Word was as fire shut up in the bones of Elder Charlie Thomas; unable to contain it, he first preached it in a tent on 2nd Avenue and 6th Street. Canvas draped over poles and braced with cords and stakes became the first sanctuary of the Church of God by Faith at Jacksonville Beach. The gospel harvest yielded only a few souls for Christ, but in them flamed a spiritual zeal-like fire to build a church.
The small band of zealous Christians started a building fund, giving fifty cents a week as a step toward making the vision of a House of God a reality. Prayer and fasting coupled with dedication lead to a building erected on the corner of 3rd Avenue and 10 Street, and in December 1938, they dedicated it as Thomas Chapel Church of God by Faith.
Down through the years God blessed Thomas Chapel under the pastorate of Elder Thomas, his wife, Mother Annie Thomas, and a host of successors: Elder Frank Townsend, Elder S. B. Forehand, Elder Harry Johnson and Elder June Lundy. God spoke, Elder Lundy hearkened, and the old structure was refurbished and dedicated on May 25, 2001.
Elder Terence Sapp and Lady Demetrice Sapp were appointed leaders by the Executive Council in 2012. God continues to wonderfully bless this house and His work through the ministry of our beloved pastor, Elder Terence Sapp.