History of the National Headquarters
Deacon Aaron Matthews, oldest son of one of the founding fathers, Bishop Aaron Matthews, Sr. (Bishop W. W. Matthews brother), served as the first office manager at the East Jacksonville, Haines Avenue location until his death.
In 1952, Sister Katie Marie Hill became the first secretary to serve at the National Headquarters. She did so faithfully until 1955 when she left to get married. Sister Jefferson did it all. Being a skilled linotype machine operator during her employment at the Florida Star, she became the church’s first and only linotype operator. She set to type the Sunday School Curriculum and the Spiritual Guide Newsletter which was distributed to all the churches.
Sister Alfreda Benjamin was employed as secretary from 1957 until 1965.
Sister Jefferson came back to work at the headquarters, bringing along her son, Alvin. He shadowed Deacon Matthews from the age of about 12 or 13, learning everything he could from Deacon Matthews. After the death of Deacon Matthews, Alvin took over management of The Print Shop, the name affectionately used by most folks at the time to describe the National Office. Deacon Alvin Jefferson retired in 2005. Both Elder Otis Johnson and Rev. Wells worked for brief periods.
In 1986, Sister Sarah Lundy joined the staff at the headquarters. Sister Jefferson took over as secretary of the Burial League Fund exclusively while Sister Lundy handled her previous job assignments. Sister Jefferson retired in 1992.
In 1995, the headquarters relocated and leased office space on Lane Avenue in Jacksonville. Bishop James McKnight, Sr. had a vision for a new headquarters that would appropriately host executive meetings, house a national museum and serve as a hub for the life and growth of Church of God by Faith, Inc. In 2005, the national church purchased property and began planning for a new $1.5 million office complex. In April 2008, the present location, 2409 Old Middleburg location was dedicated. Interestingly, the new location is on the exact lot where the very first Church of God by Faith was built.
Church of God by Faith, Inc. is not only happy to have a new 7000+ square foot headquarters but is equally pleased that it could be built on a spot that once housed the original home of this great organization.
Sis. Lundy has been serving the Church of God by Faith National Office since 1986. As the Office Manager, she is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the national headquarters. In addition to immediately assisting the Bishop, she supports the needs of the Supreme Council, District Elders, and Pastors. Sis. Lundy also coordinates various aspects of the organization’s annual conferences, serves as the President of the Burial League Fund and edits the organization’s national newsletter, The Faith Forum.
Assistant Office Manager
Sis. Watts has been working at the national headquarters for ten years. Her many tasks include serving as the Burial League Fund administrator, maintaining the church management system, and supporting the headquarters’ Office Manager. Sis. Watts is also responsible for maintaining data pertaining to the organization’s financial records and coordinating meetings for the Supreme Council and National Ministry Directors.